Thursday, November 6, 2008

Baylie's day at the Senior Center

Baylie and 5 others students had the opportunity to go to the senior center and serve them lunch. They helped the "meals on wheels" organization. The school requires students 6th grade and up to serve the community in some capacity. The idea is to become a well rounded student with tolerance for others. I was quite surprised that the students were not shy at all! They chit chatted with all the seniors and learned quite a bit.
They loved talking to Milly, she is 98 and still driving! She still teaches Sunday school every week. They were quite surprised that they did not have cell phones for most of their lives. They also learned that they did not have running water when they were kids, so they had to pee in a hole in the back yard! It was an awesome wake up to reality...ipods, wiis, cell phones, computers, x-box, game boys, and all the other technical devices that kids have today were not their whole lives.




4 comments:

  1. DeeAnn...I believe you've forgotten that you and I once "worked" at a senior center as well!!!

    Good for Baylie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I still don't remember ever going to a senior center! In Rexburg?? Gimme more details b/c you have now peaked my curiosity! How did we end up doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was something to do with a walkman, a fingerless man and a service we needed to provide.

    ReplyDelete